Wednesday, January 26, 2011

All About Trains and Graphite to open Feb. 10


Sam Ferrara of Victor will share his love for railroads and drawing at his “All About Trains and Graphite” exhibit opening Thursday, Feb. 10 at Finger Lakes Community College.

The opening will be from 1 to 3 p.m. with an artist’s talk at 2 p.m. followed by a reception from 4 to 6:30 p.m. 

All events are free and open to the public and will be held in the Williams-Insalaco Gallery 34 on the first floor of the FLCC main campus, 3325 Marvin Sands Drive.  Parking is available in the parking lot in front of the building and in the CMAC lot.

Ferrara’s enthusiasm for trains began at an early age. “My father introduced my brother and me to trains when we were kids. I remember having a Lionel train set around the Christmas tree and another set in the basement.

“I love the power, size and noise of trains,” adds Ferrara. “I enjoy sitting by railroad tracks and watching trains go by.” 

Ferrara started out taking black and white photos of the railroad. Then friends encouraged him to draw his subjects.
                       
For a while Ferrara drew only in graphite. “I got tired of everything being in black and white, so I branched out by adding color,” he says. “Colored pencils work well with graphite. I like the layering technique I can use with colored pencil.”

Ferrara taught for the Penfield School District for 37 years before retiring in 2007. He currently facilitates a weekly colored pencil art club that meets in Victor.

The “All About Trains and Graphite” exhibit will be on display from Feb. 10 to March 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment